From: Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2018 5:25 PM
To: EOWG (E-mail) <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>; Sharron Rush <srush@knowbility.org>; Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>; Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
Subject: Direct Outreach on Implementing WCAG 2.1

Hello EOWG Members,
Right now the most significant barrier to access for people with Low Vision is lack of implementation for WCAG 2.1. I imagine this is also an issue for Cognitive Disabilities as well.

For low vision, on issue is particularly critical: Sticky headers, footers and buttons disable the responsive gains of the past 8 years for people who need responsive enlargement.

Another serious issue is the failure caused by not including role="img" on icon fonts. Icon fonts are great when they are identified semantically.

I think a letter from EOWG to educational institutions in the US as well as news outlets that these issues exists, constitute a significant barrier and do not meet current standards could be very helpful.

For example if Awsome Fonts accessibility page could include the need for role="img" on "i" and "span" elements, it could have a dramatic impact.

Consider this.

Sincerely, Wayne
This email, including any attachments, is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized distribution, disclosure or use is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please contact the sender and delete this email, including any attachments, immediately. Thank you.