Re: EOWG: Media Requirements comments by Wed 12 Nov

Thanks, Shadi.

EOWG,

I made the following tweaks based on Shadi's input. If you have any concerns, please let us know asap

On 11/12/2014 5:16 PM, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
> Hi Shawn,
>
> Looks good, thanks for this write-up.
>
> A couple of minor comments:
>
> Comment #1: Regardless of any title changes, I think that the
> document needs to clarify that the listing is non-exhaustive. That
> is, I think this important point should be a separate comment. It
> could be as easy to address as saying "example of affected
> disabilities include" or so.

Changed the shortname of that comment from "section title" to "clarify not comprehensive" and tweaked to say consider changing the title, *and* making it clear in the first sentence.

Changed in the suggested first paragraph (under comment 6) from "This section provides an overview of the accessibility requirements..." to "This section provides examples of the accessibility requirements..."

> Comment #2: It might be worthwhile to add to the comment that several
> WAI resources use the sequence "auditory, cognitive, neurological,
> physical, speech, and visual disabilities", and that we recommend to
> align with that for continuity with WAI resources. They could either
> prefix the headings or use more heading levels to keep the current
> granularity (ie. "deafness" under "auditory" heading).

Added as a new comment - #7

> Comment #4: I have a mild preference for keeping in the listing but
> maybe better framing with a "such as" or so. I think it helps readers
> who may be unaware of "cognitive disabilities" to have some handles
> with terms that they may have heard of (ie. autism). However, I don't
> feel strongly and there is no need to re-open EO discussion, if this
> particular point has been discussed already.

um, yeah, this is a hard one. I see your point. Jan also had interesting points on the complications of this list and combining cognitive and neurological disabilities (<http://www.w3.org/2014/11/07-eo-minutes#item01>).

Added: "[EOWG had some concerns with the list, yet also the thought that some readers might recognize some conditions in the list but would not think of them with just "cognitive and neurological disabilities".] Consider consulting the Cognitive Accessibility Task Force for suggestions for this paragraph (and encouraging them to keep it fairly succinct like the others)."

> Comment #5: Maybe change "more in-depth" to "broader"? Not sure if
> "How People with Disabilities" really digs much deeper vs provides a
> broader introduction that is not limited to media context.

Done.

Best,
~Shawn

> People with Disabilities Use the Web", but intends to explain these
> user needs in the particular context of media. We can acknowledge
> that by changing "clean up the language" to "add specifics for the
> media context, as needed" or such. PS: If we want to keep "clean up
> the language" then we should also say how to do that.
>
> Best, Shadi
>

> On 7.11.2014 19:58, Shawn Henry wrote:
>> Hi EOWG folks,
>>
>> Based on today's teleconference discussion, proposed EOWG comments
>> on the Media Accessibility User Requirements, Disabilities section
>> [1] in relationship with the How People with Disabilities Use the
>> Web, Diversity of Web Users page [2] are updated at:
>>
>> <https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Media_Accessibility_User_Requirements#Relationship_with_How_People_with_Disabilities_Use_the_Web>

Please review these proposed EOWG comments and if you have any concerns

[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/people-use-web/diversity

>> -------- Original Message -------- Subject: EOWG: Media
>> Accessibility User Requirements for this week Date: Thu, 06 Nov
>> 2014 14:40:55 -0600 From: Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org> To: EOWG
>> (E-mail) <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>, Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>
>>
>> Hi EOWG participants,
>>
>> Propose suggestions for addressing the overlap between Media
>> Accessibility User Requirements, Disabilities section and How
>> People with Disabilities Use the Web, Diversity of Web Users page
>> is updated at:
>> <https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Media_Accessibility_User_Requirements#Relationship_with_How_People_with_Disabilities_Use_the_Web>

Please review this and prepare to discuss it on Friday's teleconference.