RE: Button research discussion

Dear Group,
there seems to be discussion of 'next' and 'previous' buttons in this thread. An piece of advice, which seems to go way back is "Don't break the back button" [on the Browser]. There seem to be, in existence, sites which adhere to this, and it is found that they are superior in terms of accessibility . Made terse, an 'previous' button may be superfluous, or if used, might simply invoke a JavaScript handler to return to the previous page?
Lee.