Re: Question about ambiguous scope

From: Wayne E Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 09:09:45 -0700
To: Bim Egan <bim@w3.org>, w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
I actually looked in HTML 4 and HTML 5 and the upper left cell is
ambigous.  Since the next section is irregular tables, a brief
transition from simple tables to might simply explain the upper left
corner problem:

Something like:
"You may wonder whether the <th> cell in the upper left corner is
interpreted as a row header or a column header.  It could be both.  The
answer is that the situation is ambiguous without using the "scope"
attribute of the <th> element. The next section on irregular tables will
cover how we resolve the upper left corner problem and other unusual
configurations using the attributes of <th> cells.

Wayne