Re: null alt text

Hi William - eloquently put, and I am certainly no supporter of lazy
null alt text - but my least favourite piece of free verse is "spacer
graphic", especially when read over and over again (although I guess
there's probably dadaists who are fans :) ).

Do you reject the idea that alt is co-equal equivalence, title is
supporting info about an element? Title is read by JAWS if set to
verbose (a reason not to duplicate title and alt content), so can we not
then reserve alt for functionally (or aesthetically) equivalence, rather
than meta-data?

I have to admit, I quite like the idea of using haiku to evoke the
momentary reaction of a 'purely decorative' element... but I guess that
this is not an art project, it's an argument about what we advise. I
think that on a weel-designed site, null alt text is probably being
lazy. On a badly designed site, littered with graphical elements that
are merely an aid to visual layout, I think that null alt is heaps
better than the alternative.

Anyone else want to pitch in on this?