Re[2]: Two comments about Before-After Demo (BAD)

Hello Shadi,

Thank you for your answer.

> To your second question first: the spacing between page elements will be
> revised on all pages. The survey page will be entirely overhauled as it
> has many parts that need cleaning up. Volunteers welcome... ;)

You have just hired a volunteer ;).

> As to the question on ALT: we had decided that determining if an image
> is informative or decorative is primarily a business decision that needs
> to be taken by the author, rather than a definitive criteria to be in a
> technical standard. We have therefore selected a variety of solutions to
> demonstrate this. Please see below some details of our thought process:

[...]

I understand... the following are some thoughts I wrote on a private reply to William:

I always teach web editors that they have the responsibility to choose the correct alt text for an image. And after this I tell them that "the correct" alt text for an image do not exist: is a matter of context, and only who write the content knows the context. So in this point of view, an image may be decorative or not depending on the message.

Another question is to be descriptive or not. Let's think about a blog article in which the author put an image of Munch painting "The Scream". Should we insert a visual description of the painting as alt text, a null alt text or a description of the feelings that the painting induce when you look at it ("anguish" for example)?

It is really a tricky matter, for that reason we have to be extremely clear in our "official" examples.

Besides I think it could be a good idea to have a feedback on BAD pages from users with disabilities.

Have a nice day,

--
Best regards,
Marco Bertoni