Re: Two comments about Before-After Demo (BAD)

Hi Marco, all,

Thank you for raising these questions. Indeed BAD is currently under
development, and this is the right time for such discussions.

To your second question first: the spacing between page elements will be
revised on all pages. The survey page will be entirely overhauled as it
has many parts that need cleaning up. Volunteers welcome... ;)

As to the question on ALT: we had decided that determining if an image
is informative or decorative is primarily a business decision that needs
to be taken by the author, rather than a definitive criteria to be in a
technical standard. We have therefore selected a variety of solutions to
demonstrate this. Please see below some details of our thought process:

Some images such as bullets, spacers, or backgrounds are obviously only
decoration and have therefore been either marked using empty ALT (aka
null), or by putting the images into the CSS. This was to show different
ways in which the same effect could be achieved (different techniques).

As to the images of the man with a large hat, the performer on a stage,
or the flower, the situation is less clear. Do they add functionality,
understandability, or a user experience (regardless if visually or not)?
It really comes down to personal preferences, intention of the content,
and a business decision by the content owner. We chose the three images
in the middle of the page to be "informative" ones and the others on the
right to be "decorative" (aka teasers). We could have chosen otherwise.

I think the question is really: how do we communicate these valuable
pieces of information to users of BAD? There are several examples where
we tried to show different techniques or reflect best practices in the
Demo, but they are often overseen. I hope that the "annotated pages"
which will show such information directly in-line may help. We would
appreciate thoughts and discussion on improving the educational value of
the actual Demo pages.

Regards,
   Shadi