Re: Success Criteria 3.1.5 violates academic freedom on my opinion and could not be practiced by universities.

I agree that some more universal definition of reading level is
needed. In Spain the system is (or was) divided into three levels, not
just primary and secondary.

I wonder whether the progress of students with no reading disability
really follows the same path as that of those with different
disabilities. People with a reading disability don't always have it
because they haven't learned or are backward.

I agree with (what I think) Wayne argues that this could lead to
material simply being removed from the public space because it can not
be expressed in simple language. if the concepts are advanced,
expressing it in simple language could make it so verbose that the
main target audience suffers from overload or misses its artistic
value. Perhaps this is why it is level three.

On the other hand, not all cultures have a movement towards simple
writing style that has become accepted in English-speaking countries,
and something is needed to make people (like in the country where I
live) realize that unnecessarily complex and long sentences and
rarely-used vocabulary are not a sign of good writing. Something is
needed. Like avoid using unnecessarily complex or obscure language, in
new text. Making the difference between new and existing text.

best regards,

Alan

--
Senior Web Accessibility Consultant, Technosite (www.technosite.es)