Re: Inaccessible Compliant Sites

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Alan Chuter wrote:

> I think it's also useful to think about the GLs not only as how to make
> web content accessible, so much as how to avoid making it inaccessible,
> which isn't the same thing.

I completely agree with Alan here.  I too generally try not to talk
about making websites "accessible", but rather about how to avoid
*gratuitous* or *unnecessary* barriers to accessibility.

(It is important not to get drawn into discussions about some
imaginary utopia in which everybody would have "equal" access to
all web resources regardless of ability or disability - because
such a thing is plainly nonsense. People *do* have different
abilities and disabilities, and some of these *do* sometimes
place hard limits on what a particular individual can do.  The
point of "web accessibility" is not to somehow pretend that this
is not so; but rather to ensure that any such constraints are
definitely not *amplified*; and even, as far as technology can
actually do so, that such constraints should be *mitigated* or
*relaxed*.  But it's all about practical accomodations, for real
people, experiencing real barriers, in the here and now, and not
some abstract utopian ideal where disability would somehow cease
to exist...)

Best - Barry.