RE: Comments-Selecting and Using Web Accessibility Evaluation Tools

Sailesh,

While you recommend one tool that can be 'toggled' between everything and a
persons immediate needs, I am not aware of any tool that can check all the
checkpoints - the automatic tools can only check for the presence/absence of
certain attributes, not whether the values are sensible or appropriate. Some
focussed tools are the only way to check some checkpoints - e.g. Gez Lemon's
Colour Contrast Analyser
(http://www.juicystudio.com/services/colourcontrast.asp) or Chris Ridpath's
'Color Visibility Test Program'
(http://aprompt.snow.utoronto.ca/ColorVisibilityProgram.html) for colour
contrast. Others, like our own Web Accessibility Toolbar
(http://www.nils.org.au/ais/web/resources/toolbar/) provide a toolbox where
the user can choose a tool (often a simple script) to test many of the
checkpoints that the large automatic tools advise need to be checked
manually.

I personally think a suite of tools is required if a developer or
organisation is serious about accessibility and wants to comprehensively
check against WCAG.

Andrew
_________________________________
Dr Andrew Arch
Manager Online Accessibility Consulting
Accessible Information Solutions, NILS
Ph 613 9864 9222; Fax 613 9864 9210; Mobile 0438 755 565
http://www.nils.org.au/ | http://www.it-test.com.au/ |
http://www.ozewai.org/

Member, Education & Outreach Working Group,
W3C Web Accessibility Initiative
http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/

National Information & Library Service, Australia
A subsidiary of RBS.RVIB.VAF Ltd.