Re: WAI Site Redesign, site-wide navigation concept

With my font size set at large (my preferred setting in Internet Explorer)
the combination of the left-column white space and the navigation cluster
fills almost 1/2 of my 15 inch LCD screen, leaving only half for critical
content.  Even at default (medium) font size more than a third of the
screen is occupied.  I can't say I like my main content to be shoe-horned
into a newspaper-like column. Using my imagination I moved the cluster to
the left margin and that made me somewhat happier.

I don't know whether this (and the previous comment) is a forbidden
"detailed design" comment, but my first couple of stabs at the mockup menus
left me somewhat confused as to how to work them (i.e. expand and,
especially, collapse).  I think my confusion had something to do with the
CSS choices for link highlighting (or perhaps simply because not all the
links in the mockup are active, in which case I withdraw my comment until a
more detailed mockup is available for review).

However, all concerns aside, I think the concept goes a long way to meeting
the stated goals.  The devil, I think, will be in the details.

The Quick Links mock up - with the left column white space taken over by
the link list is more to my liking (i.e. more traditional). I guess I am a
design conservative! (i.e., a fossil) <grin>. One concern is that the lower
part of the list looks like alphabet soup.  I had a quick panic thinking my
default character set/font display had been corrupted.

Regards,
Chuck Letourneau
Starling Access Services