Outreach update: DAISY--Z3986

From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:36:18 -0400
To: "'EOWG'" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>

Just returned from DAISY -- Z3986 Digital Talking Book Meeting
at Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic in Princeton -- about 30 folks
gathered to discuss updates to the work we'd done back in 1992:
ANSI/NISO Z39.86-2002

     http://www.niso.org/standards/resources/Z39.86-2002.html

Particularly pertinent to WAI:

1. George Kerscher asserted that EO was planning to address the
accessibility aspects of Math-ML.

There are currently several software solutions providing math-to-speech
readers.

2. SMIL 1.0 is part of current Z3986. They are looking to update to
SMIL 2.0. Mark Hakkinen was the principal explainer, along with
Markus Grylling.

3. Janina Sajka described and demonstrated several forms of audio
compression -- at least one of which was non-proprietary I believe.

4. VoiceML was mentioned as important for the future.

Regards/Harvey Bingham
http://www.hbingham.com/