RE: Web Accessibility is....

At 07:33 AM 1/30/2003 -0800, saylordj@wellsfargo.com wrote:

>Hi All,
>I like Henk's definition in many ways, but Henk asks about the term
>universal access, and I think Judy raised the point that cognitive
>disabilities might not allow one to 'think' all content.

depends on the extent of cognitive disabilities; many do allow one to
understand web sites. the particular concern that i expressed in last
week's meeting was when someone suggested that everyone would understand
the content on a web site in the same way. given that people's life
experiences and interests are different, that is rarely the case,
regardless of disability.

>We do not claim
>that everyone 'thinks' alike anymore than we claim everyone can see.  We
>don't claim everyone uses content alike.  This is my version of a
>definition,
>
>Web Accessibility is "all" the diverse methods people use to know content as
>a single unified technology system of guidelines that keeps open channels of
>communication for everyone to know a web site in their specific way and
>need.

interesting. this seems very focused on the user. i wonder whether the
responsibilities of the content developers and software developers might
not come through. but it is good to have the user's experience described as
well.

- judy