Re: First draft of "Selecting Software for Developing Accessible Web Sites"

Hi Judy,

A few comments:

1. A great start - well done!

2. Introduction

2.1 wrt "explains to software developers how to make software that supports
production of accessible Web sites and is accessible to people with
disabilities"

Try "explains to software developers how to make web authoring software that
is accessible to people with disabilities and supports production of
accessible Web sites"

2.2 wrt "questions that one can ask of software vendors to identify more
conformant"

Try "questions that one can ask of software vendors or custom authoring
system developers to identify more conformant"

3. Software Guidelines

3.1 wrt "ATAG 1.0 advises ... and more" I stronly think that we should
mention that the pe\roducts should be accessible (i.e. usable) by people
with disabilities.

3.2 wrt "database-generation tools" maybe should be "database-driven content
management tools"

3.3 Can we include a point along the line that smaller, stand-alone tools
will comply more quicly than large CMS due to their realtively shorter
development and upgrade life-cycles?

3.4 Can we also inlcude a point about being aware of the
failings/limitations of your authoring tool(s) and compensating with
management processes where possible

4. Product Reviews

4.1 Charles' comments cover most of what I would have said here.

4.2 "WAI maintains links to accessibility pages for many developers" may be
better as "WAI maintains links to accessibility pages for many mainstream
authoring tool developers" as there are no CMS companies listed and there
are unlikely to be small bespoke authoring system developers ever listed. I
actually have a few links that could be added to this page. (Judy, can I
amend page, or should I send to editors?)

5. Vendor Queries

5.1 When selecting new or replacement software - add subpoint along the
lines of "Which vendors acknowledge their incomplete ATAG 1.0 conformance
and list the areas of non-conformance to allow you to better manage your
accessibility goals"

5.2 When reviewing software procurement practices - change subpont one from
"allow purchase" to "encourage purchase"

Well, my two-bob's worth of comment.

Andrew