Re: hyperlinks in test site

At 02:31 PM 10/24/00 -0700, William Loughborough wrote:
>At 02:33 PM 10/24/00 -0400, Judy Brewer wrote:
>>the two tables links go to different places
>
>The question that was raised on the call that I was trying to illustrate
>was whether we should link to WCAG or curriculum. I was merely providing a
>means of evaluating which (if any) of these targets was more appropriate
>for our purposes. I haven't gone through to see how many links would be
>called for and won't undertake doing any until we decide if we even want to
>do this. I certainly won't make multiple links from the same word if it
>appears often.

OK, I didn't understand that initially from your example. I do now.

>The reason for putting the link to yet another link instead of directly to
>the target is that there will be download time annoyance - this to be
>weighed against the 2 vs.1 click situation. I am on a slow connection but
>once I've cached the target document, it is much more convenient to only
>have to make one click - also "back" returns you to where you were reading
>instead of the "basement."

I agree that there are a bunch of pros and cons on this. I find it annoying
at first to realize that I'm jumping to another/slow document, but might
also find it annoying to find myself in a library of reference links at the
back of the document instead of somewhere interesting.

Can some other EOWG members give opinions here?

<...>
>As I experimented with the two targets I came to feel strongly that the
>proper one for this document is the curriculum. Its language is similar to
>the referring source and the guidelines are just sort of "cold". The people
>reading these scenarios are IMO likelier to be comfortable with the text on
>the slides than in the guidelines.

I agree on this; the examples were interesting to link to, and the
checkpoints were rather dull-looking.

- Judy

>--
>Love.