Re: Please review Note on SMIL accessibility features

At 1999-07-27 03:51 PM, you wrote:
>WAI EOWG:
>
>Please review the draft technical reference Note on SMIL accessibility
>features <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/NOTE-smil-access-19990726>. It is also
>under review by the SYMM WG. Please send comments back to this list
><w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>, keeping the same cc's as this message, before the EOWG
>meeting this Friday July 30, if possible.
>
>EOWG looked at an earlier version of this months ago; it's changed a lot
>since then and we would like to publish this a.s.a.p., so this is just a
>check to ensure no serious problems.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Judy
>

>----------
>Judy Brewer    jbrewer@w3.org    +1.617.258.9741    http://www.w3.org/WAI
>Director, Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) International Program Office
>World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
>MIT/LCS Room NE43-355, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA,  02139,  USA

General comment:

Examples: I believe they should universally include the attribute title="..."
as is strongly encouraged (but not required) in the SMIL spec.

"This attribute offers advisory information about the element for which it is
set. Values of the title attribute may be rendered by user agents in a variety
of ways. For instance, visual browsers frequently display the title as a "tool
tip" (a short message that appears when the pointing device pauses over an
object).

'title
It is strongly recommended that all "region" elements have a "title" attribute
with a meaningful description. Authoring tools should ensure that no element
can be introduced into a SMIL document without this attribute.'

Also for region, root-layout, switch, par, seq, the media objects:
ref, audio, video, text, textstream, animation; and the link elements a and
anchor.

It is strongly recommended that all "par" elements have a "title" attribute
with a meaningful description. Authoring tools should ensure that no element
can be introduced into a SMIL document without this attribute.

It is strongly recommended that all "seq" elements have a "title" attribute
with a meaningful description. Authoring tools should ensure that no element
can be introduced into a SMIL document without this attribute.

----
Correction notations:   _..._ addition    X...X deletion

1. Intro Para 6
Part of the responsibility ... describe relationships XbetweenX _among_
tracks, ...

2.2 Last para: Below we discuss in more detail how to associate captions and
auditory descriptions with multimedia presentations in SMIL 1.0 in a manner
that allows XusersX _a user_ to control the presentation of the alternative
stream.

2.2.1 Captions

Example 1

Some browsers may recognize the short endtag of XML only if preceded by space.
I'd change all such to include that space.

  <video   src="video.rm" _ /_>

Both examples:
have file suffixes   rm and rtx
Unfamiliar to me, unlikely that ".rm" is appropriate for both audio and video.

2.2.3 Multilingual presentations and stream equivalents

In the following example, the TV news are offered in both Spanish and English.
If the user has the player configured to support both Spanish and overdubs, the
Spanish audio track will be rendered. Otherwise the second audio track of the
first switch element (the English audio track) will be rendered. Note that
since there is only one set of captions (in English), they will be rendered
when the user has configured the player to support captions. _This presumes
that English is the default lang, and that is the language of the caption._

4.0 Navigation and Linking Para 1

SMIL 1.0 includes a number of interesting linking features, including HTML-like
hyperlinks and image maps (as well as video maps). SMIL 1.0 also allows authors
to create time-dependent links that may
    Xonly X
be active only at certain times during a presentation (as defined by the
author). To make these hyperlinks accessible, authors must provide textual
information and SMIL players should allow users to control the link rendering.

4.3 Useful Navigation Mechanisms

Example 2  refers to img three places. Add alt="..." to them.
Add spaces before " />"  Fix the one that omitted the "/".

6. To Learn More about Accessibility and SMIL

Para 2. SMIL presumes CSS2; CSS alone is not enough.

Regards/Harvey Bingham