RE: URGENT: Any more comments on Quick Tips revision?

At 04:58 PM 7/15/99 -0400, Neff, Robert wrote:
>Do we want to say,
>
>6. At "Image maps. Use client-side MAP and text links for hotspots."
>
>I suggest we add "links"

I see by Ian's quote that yes, the WCAG does recommend redundant text links
even where the sensitive areas [a.k.a. hotspots] are in a user-side map and
have adequate ALT.

To make this suggestion clear, I think that we need a few more words,
something like

.. Use a client-side <em>map</em>, and text links as well as image hotspots.

Explanation: "for hotspots" doesn't expand to redundant links for me in
plain English.

Warning:  The "I see by Ian's quote..." is stated with a little reluctance.
 This provision is a bit controversial, to the extent that some may feel
that browser
implementation of user-side image maps is already sufficient and that
redundant text links are thereby not required even now.  But I don't want
to go down that rathole so let's stick to the letter of the 5 May
Recommendation (he says to himself).

Further note:  I disagree a bit with Ian to the extent that I don't think
we need to worry about using specification conventions in styling this
text.  Anything that sets 'map' off from its context such that all
technical terms whether elements or attributes are similarly set off is
fine in this non-technical setting.  It is more important for this document
to get the idea across to the technically untutored than to make it look
'right' to the illuminati.

Al