Re: Fw: Questions on Quick Tips revisions

Rob,

Thanks for the comments. Replies below, indicated by "JB."

At 07:17 AM 7/10/99 -0700, Robert Neff wrote:
>here are my comments
>
> 2. Make "alt" in first item boldface.
>Rob>alt should be in caps

JB: Why? Other attributes aren't.

>4. Make "css" uppercase on first item on back of card.
>Rob>isnt it already?

JB: Good point. I meant the reverse: it should be in boldface in addition
to caps, as is HTML.

>6. At "Image maps. Use client-side MAP and text for hotspots." Check that
>this is consistent with final WCAG.
>Rob>add "and alternate text links"

JB: Please see separate thread under "disparity" in Web Content Guidelines
Working Group for working out a resolution on this.

>7. At "Multimedia,"
>Rob> recommend saying, "Multimedia. Provide captioning or text transcripts
>of audio.  Descriptions of video may be provided."

JB: A clarification -- the Quick Tips card is only a brief summary of the
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0. It isn't a change to revise or
downgrade the priority of checkpoints in WCAG. So, changing descriptions of
video to a lower priority "may" would not be appropriate here. Please look
carefully at the definitions of priorities. They are based on the extent to
which the items, if not done, are barriers for various groups; not on the
extent to which they might "overwhelm" people thinking about doing these.

>The text would be for deaf users and teh description of the video would be
>for blind users.  Have some concerns that we may overwhelm people here and
>may want to drop the video part.   Not sure how to speak to this without
>offending people.  Its a big step to get captioning now we are asking for
>description of the video...will we scare people away.  text is easy but how
>do you describe the event? what guidance is there?  I would not know how to
>describe an event.  Would a description of the video event suffice on the
>HTML page?

JB: Not knowing how to describe an event means that we need to make sure
there is guidance on how to do that (have you checked the Techniques
document?) not that we should rewrite the guidelines.

> How about?
>"Multimedia. Provide captioning or text transcripts of audio for hearing
>impared.  Descriptions of video may also be provided for seeing impaired."
>
>I am worried that we may be overloading people and this may impact
>implementation?  Could we make audio text or captioing P1 and video
>description P3. Not sure how this is going to come across and my apologies
>if I have offended anyone.

JB: See above re definitions of priorities, and which working group gets to
thrash out the decisions on these, & when.

> 8. At "Tables," comments
>rob>  how does this impact "colgroup" which is allowed?  say i have
>linearizesd data but am the first column is broken out into sections and
>each section has span the row.  so for each section the row.  how about
>merged cells like this?

>Sea">
><caption>
>  <h3><b>LIST OF THE USS CORAL SEA CAPTAINS</b></h3>
></caption>
>    <th width="36%">Group </th>
>    <th width="36%">CAPTAIN'S NAME</th>
>

>10. Change