sitesweeper

From: Robert Neff <rneff@moon.jic.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:45:05 -0800
To: <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
Cc: <kasday@acm.org>
A company called StarBase <http://www.starbase.com> has product called
SiteSweeper that is provides a quality assurance check on web sites.  During
Sunday's meetings this was the product that i mentioned that checked for ALT
tags, Meta tags, Height and Width on Images and also publishes all the
graphics in one html file.  Specifically they check for:
Broken Links
Slow Pages (As you specified the timeout)
Missing ALT Attribute
Missing Width or Height
Distorted Images  (Do not entirely understand this one)
Problem Titles.  All this is in a report and much more.
Concurrent users.

I have a beta copy and ran this on my site and was impressed.  It provides
much information that Webtrends or other site management tools (that i have
seen) do not.  Looking for opinions here.

I will ask when this will be made available on a trail basis on the web
site.

Also, Sunday, someone mentioned that the W3C was interested in developing a
product that would find the ALT Tags and replace them.  Are we looking for
more?  Are we developing this from scratch?

rob