fwd: LAST CALL: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines

WAI EOWG:

Reminder: the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines are in Last Call, which
closes soon.

At our meeting this Friday March 12, I would like to discuss and close on
WAI EOWG feedback to the Guidelines Working Group.

Please review the document at
<http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH-19990226/> thoroughly, from our
perspective as an education/outreach group, before the EOWG call, and be
prepared to discuss it as an agenda item at this Friday's meeting.

Better yet, someone could start some discussion on the list in advance...?

Thanks,

Judy

>Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 11:11:42 -0500
>To: w3c-wai-eo
>From: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
>Subject: LAST CALL: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
>
>To: WAI Education & Outreach Working Group
>
>LAST CALL: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
>
>Please note that the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines have now entered
"Last Call" status. Within W3C, "Last Call" status signifies a final review
period before Proposed Recommendation. Assuming no critical issues emerge
during Last Call, the document then goes to W3C Member organizations for
review regarding whether or not it can become a W3C Recommendation.

>Much of EOWG's work is based on the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
Even if you have used some part of the Guidelines over the past several
months, please take this opportunity to review them comprehensively, and to
forward your comments to <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org> as described in the "Last
Call" message below.

>Last Call closes on March 19, 1999. Last Call comments received after this
date will not be able to be incorporated.

> [...]
>published by the W3C Web Accessibility Initiative. The series also
>includes the "User Agent Accessibility Guidelines" and the "Authoring
>Tool Accessibility Guidelines."
>
>Until March 19, 1999, the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) Interest
>Group, Chairs of W3C Working Groups, and interested parties are
>invited to review this document and send suggestions and comments to
>w3c-wai-gl@w3.org. Comments and responses to them will be archived [2]
>for public reference. Comments that you wish to keep private to W3C
>Members may be sent to w3c-wai-cg@w3.org.
>
>To ensure that dependencies with other W3C Working Groups have been
>addressed, we urge the following Working Group Chairs to review the
>document before the end of the last call period:
>
>  Judy Brewer, Chair WAI IG
>  Angel Diaz, Chairs Math WG
>  Jon Gunderson, Chair WAI User Agent WG
>  Tatsuya Hagino, Chair Mobile WG
>  Philipp Hoschka, Chair SYMM WG
>  Chris Lilley, Chair CSS & FP WG
>  Steven Pemberton, Chair HTML WG
>  Jutta Treviranus, Chair WAI Authoring Tool WG
>  Misha Wolf, Chair I18N WG
>
>Once the last call period has ended, all comments have been evaluated,
>and the W3C Director has reviewed the document, the Working Group
>anticipates that the Guidelines will become a Proposed Recommendation.
>
>  * Background
>
>The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines explain to Web content
>developers how to make their pages more accessible to people with
>disabilities. Following these guidelines will also make pages more
>useful to people using a broad range of devices (desktop browsers,
>voice browsers, mobile phones, automobile-based PC's, etc.)  and to
>search engines. Tools that create Web content (HTML editors, document
>conversion tools, tools that generate Web content from databases)
>should generate content that is consistent with these guidelines.
>
>The Guidelines have been organized as follows:
>
>    1) There are sixteen "guidelines" (principles
>       of accessible design, not prioritized).
>
>    2) Each guideline specifies one or more
>       prioritized "checkpoints" that explain
>       how authors can satisfy the guideline.
>
>    3) An appendix document [3] lists all the checkpoints in the
>       Guidelines, organized by subject and priority level.
>
>This version of the Guidelines includes a conformance statement that
>explains how documents or processes may claim conformance to the
>Guidelines.
>
>The Guidelines are accompanied by another document, entitled
>"Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines." The Techniques
>Document explains in detail how authors may implement the checkpoints
>enumerated in the Guidelines. Please note that the non-normative
>Techniques Document, which continues to evolve, is not entering last
>call (although comments about techniques are still welcome).
>
>The Guidelines have been produced by the W3C WAI Page Author
>Guidelines Working Group [4] as part of the WAI Web Accessibility

World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)