Re: BROCHURE DRAFT #2

At 2/26/99 02:49 AM, Judy Brewer wrote:
>Brochure Draft #2, for EOWG discussion

HB: This layout is a three-fold brochure. left-to-right a 3-column design
printed landscape.
Outside:   front panel,            back panel,                    foldover
panel inside front panel
                       Logo                 Sponsor Logo
Quick Tips

Inside:  inside front panel,  middle-inside panel,    far right inside panel
                  WAI                            WAI Resources
Take Action
>-------
>[front panel]
>
>[w3c logo] World Wide Web Consortium
>Web Accessibility Initiative
>
>"The power of the Web is in its universality.  Access by everyone
>regardless of disability is an essential aspect."
> 	-- Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and Inventor of the World Wide Web

HB: I'd like one more:
Techniques that support universal access also support alternative
modalities for everyone, in whatever environment they are currently seeking
information.

>WWW.W3.ORG/WAI [large, w/ graphics treatment]
>
>-------
>[inside front panel]
>
>W3C Web Accessibility Initiative
>
>The Web is a vital resource for many of life's activities. News, education,
>employment, government, commerce, recreation -- people with disabilities
>need access to all these areas.
>
>The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is an international, vendor-neutral
>consortium promoting the interoperability and evolution of the Web. The Web
>Accessibility Initiative (WAI) addresses accessibility requirements of
>people with visual, hearing, physical and cognitive disabilities.
>
>WAI works in partnership with industry, disability organizations, research
>centers and governments in the following areas:
>
>*  Technology
>*  Guidelines
>*  Tools
>*  Education
>*  Research
>
>Many Web accessibility solutions emphasize redundant modalities, for
>instance ensuring that information can be accessed by either vision or
>hearing
HB: or touch
>                    ; or that someone can enter information either by
keyboard or mouse.
HB: or voice command.
>Therefore accessibility solutions also benefit users of a variety of Web
>devices -- mobile phones, palm-tops, kiosks; and users in a variety of
>situations -- low bandwidth connections, noisy environments, eyes-busy
>activities such as driving,
HB: extreme lighting, bouncing keyboard, etc.

>-------
>[foldover panel inside front panel]
>
>Quick tips to make accessible Web sites
>
>- Images & animations. Use the alt attribute to describe the function of
>all visuals.
HB: Still wish it were "each visual"
>- Image maps. Use client-side MAP and text for hotspots.
>- Multimedia. Provide captioning and transcripts of audio, descriptions of
>video, and accessible versions in case inaccessible formats are used.
>- Hypertext links. Use text that makes sense when read out of context. For
>instance, do not use "click here."
>- Page organization. Use headings, lists, and consistent structure. Use CSS
>for layout and style where possible.
>- Graphs & charts. Summarize or use the longdesc attribute.
>- Scripts, applets, & plug-ins. Provide alternative content in case active
>features are inaccessible or unsupported.
>- Frames. Label with unique title or name attribute.
>- Tables. Make line by line reading sensible. Summarize. Avoid using tables
>for column layout.
>- Check your work. Validate the HTML. Use evaluation tools and text-only
>browsers to verify accessibility.
>
>For complete guidelines & checklist: http://www.w3.org/WAI
>
>-------
>[middle inside panel]
>
>WAI RESOURCES
>
>WWW.W3.ORG/WAI/RESOURCES
>
>Guidelines:
> 	Web Content Accessibility
>  	User Agent Accessibility
>  	Authoring Tool Accessibility
>Reference:
>	Technical
>	Policy
>Demonstration:
>	Alternative Browsers
>	Accessible Sites
>Curriculum:
>	Presentation Materials
>	On-line Instruction
>Tools:
>	Evaluation Tools
>	Proxies
>Networking:
>	Related Projects
>
>-------
>[far right inside panel]
>
>TAKE ACTION
>
>* check your Web sites
>* check your tools
>* link to WAI
>* promote Web accessibility
>* participate in WAI groups
>* sponsor Web accessibility efforts
>
>WAI GROUPS
>[NB in this section I use CAPS to represent bold or styled text]
>
>WAI operates a variety of interest groups and working groups:
>
>* WAI INTEREST GROUP for general discussion forum on WAI work
>* three GUIDELINES WORKING GROUPS
>* a TOOLS Interest Group and Working Group
>* an EDUCATION & OUTREACH Working Group
>* a TECHNICAL Review Working Group
>
>Information on how to join groups is available at www.w3.org/WAI.
>
>-------