Re: waicard9

Daniel,

What you say makes me more comfortable with this.

Since we understand that all interpretations are valid, this gives me some
freedom in how I'll use the card.  When I use the card with agencies that
are obligated to serve a wide public, e.g. gov't, I'll interpret it as alt
text AND separate text links.  When I'm working with organizations that
know its users have browsers that handle the ALT text (e.g. a company that
properly equips its employees)  I'll intepret it as ALT.

So count me in the consensus for this version (although since I'm not
officially in EO you don't really need it <grin> ).

(BTW I'm hoping for acceptance of Geoff's suggestion of omitting "non-W3"
in the other format tip).

Len

At 05:06 PM 2/3/99 +0100, you wrote:

>> > Image Maps   Use client-side MAP and text link for hotspots.
>

>> I predict that different readers will interpret differently, and that not
>> all will interpret the way we want them too.
>
>You're right and I think that's good.
>
>At a minimum, we want to get
>  alt text OR separate text links
>and with this wording we might get
>  alt text AND separate text links
>
>I know you're worried that we only get
>  alt text (and no separate text links)
>but that's only a P2 right now, so I think it's OK.

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)