Re: try, try again

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:25:20 -0500
To: love26@gorge.net
Cc: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
suggestions on trimming words making easier sell:

>Tables Don't use tables for columnar layout. Have data make sense when
read row by row. Provide a summary.

Suggest omit absolute "Don't use tables...".  Just say

7. Have data make sense when read cell by cell.  Provide a Summary.

This shrinks more, omits what would be touch sell and really isn't neccesary.

>  10.Check your work Validate the HTML & CSS of your site. Use evaluation
tools to > verify accessibility. Test without mouse or monitor.

"without mouse or monitor" is really asking average webmaster to use JAWS
or some such, which is unrealistic I think.  Also, this omits need to turn
off sound.  And "check your work" could be omitted.  How about

10. Validate the HTML & CSS of your site. Use evaluation tools and all-text
browser to verify accessibility.

Or

10. Validate the HTML & CSS of your site. Use accessibility evaluation
tools and test with Lynx and no sound.

Both are a bit shorter.

At 01:48 PM 1/29/99 -0800, you wrote:
>http://dicomp.pair.com/card.htm is an attempt at shrinkage of text and
<snip>
-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)