Re: Columns that span more than 1 column

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 19:01:41 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Neff, Robert" <Robert.Neff@usmint.treas.gov>
cc: "'w3c-wai-eo@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>, "'gv@trace.wisc.edu'" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "'chisholm@trace.wisc.edu'" <chisholm@trace.wisc.edu>, "'jacobs@w3.org'" <jacobs@w3.org>
And the short answer is,

Yes, I think. Colgroup, and other elements may be more appropriate.

Charles McCN (I'm pretty tired, so I might change my mind on reflection...)

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Neff, Robert wrote:

  We are setting up a tables for data.  they have multiple columns and each
  column has a header.  We also have some rows that have spanned columns for
  things like "Chapter 1" then the following rows are unspanned and support
  the table headers.

  I am confused how the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines addresses this.
  They say that if you can read things line by line and they make sense, then
  that is a good "Quicktest."  They also list "colspan" and "rowspan" as
  attributes not directly related to accessibility.

  My question is, are rowspans and colspans acceptable in a table that has
  data?

  many thanks, rob