Columns that span more than 1 column

From: Neff, Robert <Robert.Neff@usmint.treas.gov>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:44:25 -0400
To: "'w3c-wai-eo@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
Cc: "'gv@trace.wisc.edu'" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "'chisholm@trace.wisc.edu'" <chisholm@trace.wisc.edu>, "'jacobs@w3.org'" <jacobs@w3.org>
We are setting up a tables for data.  they have multiple columns and each
column has a header.  We also have some rows that have spanned columns for
things like "Chapter 1" then the following rows are unspanned and support
the table headers.

I am confused how the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines addresses this.
They say that if you can read things line by line and they make sense, then
that is a good "Quicktest."  They also list "colspan" and "rowspan" as
attributes not directly related to accessibility.

My question is, are rowspans and colspans acceptable in a table that has
data?

many thanks, rob