Re: AUWG needs to review HTML5 from an authoring tools perspective

Hi all,

Here are some things I've noticed to get us started:

"Authoring tools are exempt from the strict requirements of using
elements only for their specified purpose, but only to the extent that
authoring tools are not yet able to determine author intent."
=> A better phrasing might be that authoring tools should help authors
meet the strict requirement by not automatically misusing elements or
encouraging the author to do so (e.g. in documentation)

"The former is the preferred mechanism for tools that author HTML, since
the structure in the source information can be used to make informed
choices regarding which HTML elements and attributes are most appropriate."
=> seems too subjective - isn't clear if this section is normative

"However, WYSIWYG tools are legitimate. WYSIWYG tools should use
elements they know are appropriate, and should not use elements that
they do not know to be appropriate. This might in certain extreme cases
mean limiting the use of flow elements to just a few elements, like div,
b, i, and span and making liberal use of the style attribute."
=> is a troubling statement since it implies WYSIWYG tools can ignore
semantic markup altogether in "extreme" (undefined) cases

For "4.8.2.1.13 Guidance for markup generators"
=> AUWG should suggest text in line with "ATAG 2.0 Guideline B.2.4" instead.

Cheers,
Jan

PS: I know HTML5 is long, but the points of contact with ATAG appear to
be a lot fewer than with WCAG and especially UAAG.

--
Jan Richards, M.Sc.
User Interface Design Lead

   Email: jan.richards@utoronto.ca