Re: ATAG requirements on accessible authoring interfaces

Roberto Scano wrote:
>1. FROM_UAAG.5 Ensure that visual displays are configurable. [Priority
>1] [Adapted from UAAG 4.1, 4.2, 4.3]
>Rationale: Authors with low vision may require that text be rendered at
>a size larger than the size specified by the authoring tool's defaults.
>authors with color blindness may need to impose or prevent certain color
>combinations.
>
>This could be difficoult (or impossibile) for web based authoring tools.

Impossible? Isn't this the responsibility of the assistive technology?
ZoomText and Majic are just a few of the magnifiers that handle this all
the time.  The "chrome" of the browser also has some of the responsibility
- for example the zoom feature in the browsers.  The point here is that
the client is doing the magnification, not the server that is sending the
HTML in a Web based authoring tool.  Another point here - the requirement
or need of authors with low vision is valid, but the placement of the
responsibility of the solution on the authoring tool vendor is not, in my
opinion, correct or most efficient.  That is the role of the assistive
technology.  Only the enablement of the authoring tool to not prevent the
use of magnifiers and zoom features is required here.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins
(occasional AU list lurker)