Re: ATAG requirements on accessible authoring interfaces

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Richards" <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>
To: <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
Cc: <jongund@uiuc.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 2:22 AM
Subject: re: ATAG requirements on accessible authoring interfaces

As the next step in my action to examine how we might make use of the
requirements in UAAG 1.0 as a basis for an ATAG requirements on
accessible
authoring interfaces, I have put together a draft wording for a revised
guideline 1. The guideline has 31 checkpoints(!), including revisions of
the
existing 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5.

See attached: new_guideline_1.html

Roberto Scano:
A good work! Some points:

1. FROM_UAAG.5 Ensure that visual displays are configurable. [Priority
1] [Adapted from UAAG 4.1, 4.2, 4.3]
Rationale: Authors with low vision may require that text be rendered at
a size larger than the size specified by the authoring tool's defaults.
authors with color blindness may need to impose or prevent certain color
combinations.

This could be difficoult (or impossibile) for web based authoring tools.

2. From_UAAG.22 Ensure that toolbars are configurable. [Priority 3]
[Adapted from UAAG 11.7]
This could go against some security level for editor. For eg, in some
web based plugin is possible to define an external source for show
particoular buttons (eg: giving to expert the possibility to edit also
the page with code-view and configure other users without this
possibility).
So I suggest here (or eventually in the main section of the guidelines)
to put something about this problem.