RE: Implementation Technique Numbering

Hmm. The reason for having numbers is that some techniques are relevant for
more than one checkpoint. The idea is that if there is a list of techniques,
then maintaining a table which says that technique Txyz is relevant to
checkpoints {list} is the most helpful medium-term approach, and means that
the table allows the numbering of techniques (which can then have their own
URIs and grow from one line to being a whole page with examples and tests
without getting lost in a sea of broken links) to reamin the same -
references to T324 are always to the same technique regardless of changes to
the guidelines and checkpoints...

cheers

Chaals

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Haritos-Shea, Katie wrote:

>Jan,
>
>Restating what I suggested in March (with the inclusion of possible er and
>xag checkpoint #s)
>this an idea for relevent numbering:
>
>    a(checkpoint#)- t(technique#)  =(or~)  w(WCAG checkpoint#) (space)
>Priority Level
>
>Where:
>    a = atag checkpoint
>    u = uaag checkpoint
>    w = wcag checkpoint
>    e = er checkpoint (?)
>    x = xag checkpoint
>    P = priority level
>    t = technique number
>
>    a(ATAG checkpoint#)- t(technique#)  =(or~)  w(WCAG checkpoint#) (space)
>Priority Level......RESOLVES TO THIS..........
>
>    a3.2-t1=w5.2 P1
>
>	or
>
>    a1.3-t2~w2.1 P1
>
>	or
>
>    a6.4.1-t2=w3.2 P1
>

>    But for ATAG 1.1, which is not relative, it would be:
>
>    a1.1-t3
>
>(in the main guidelines this could be used as:
>    a3.2=w5.2  P1)
>

>I think the use of lowercase letters makes the numbers easier to
>determine, but that is just me. Stuck with uppercase for Priority Level
>because that has been used all along.
>

>If you are not doing a comparison per say, the technique number would just
>be:
>
>	a6.4.1-t10
>	or
>	w2.3-t4 P1
>

>This convention could then possibly be used across all WAI checkpoints and
>technique docs.
>
>	u6.2-t1~w4.2 P2
>
>		or
>
>	w4.2-t14 P1~u6.5-t10
>
>		or
>
>	x2.2-t6~w4.2.5 P1
>

>If you are not doing a comparison per say, the technique number would just
>be:
>
>w2.3-t4 P1
>
>x2.2-t1 P2
>

>I think I might be forgetting some of our past discussions on this, please
>forgive my memory.
>Hope you are well................................Katie
>

>Katie Haritos-Shea
>Assistive Technology/Section 508
>Program Manager, MILVETS
>
>mailto:sheak@milvets.com
>mailto:ryladog@earthlink.net
>Direct: 301-731-1821
>Voice: 301-731-9130
>Fax: 301-731-4773
>
>MILVETS Systems Technology, Inc.
>4601 Forbes Boulevard
>Suite 300
>Lanham, Maryland
>20706
>

>"The best and most beautiful things in the world
>     cannot be seen or even touched.
>    They must be felt with the heart."
>                - Helen Keller
>

>Internet/Software/Device Accessibility and Standards
>Strategist/Developer/Evangelist

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ---------------- WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia       fax(fr) +33 4 92 38 78 22