Re: Conformance tool specification

right. <grin/>

This framework doesn't do the testing, it merely provides a way of working
out what tests should be or have been applied to what pieces. The problem of
discontinuous sets of elements (for example a server-side image map that has
replicated text links) is an interesting (difficult) one. Essentially I guess
the answer is that there is an alternative version - which is the same for a
number of different problem types. So the alternative version wouold have a
reference - in this case a fragment identifier, in other cases a completely
different URI.

Something similar happens with SMIL and could also with SVG, where there are
two or more equivalents for a piece of content, and a link between the
two. For each alternative it is necessary to know that there is an equivalent
alternative of some given type, and that there is something to link the
two. Whether that is a page that provides them both (for example text in a
page that describes a particular illustration), or another element in the
page (the text link map for redundacny with the server side map), or a parent
element (a SMIL par/switch/whatever that specifies the alternatives) doesn't
matter, so long as we can have the property that something is met by an
alternative version, along with that alternative version's URI.

Hopefully I will get some more time to write this kind of stuff in - and I
need to reference the existing conformance scheme as well.

Charles

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:

  Charles,

  Your notes say that

   > For each element there can be tests that are automatic, or manual.

  What did you have in mind for assertions that involved multiple elements,
  especially non-contiguous elements?  For example, if there's a server side
  image map there should be equivalent text links, but they don't have to be
  next to the image map (e.g. they may be at the bottom of the page).  I
  guess you'd write an assertion that included all the elements and if any
  one of them changed the assertion would be withdrawn?

  Another case: when tables are used for layout, the document must make sense
  when linearized. Similarly, if CSS positioning is used, the elements must
  make sense when read in the order they appear in the HTML.   In this case
  you'd have to withdraw the assertion if any of the elements changed, or
  their order changed, or anything was inserted in their sequence, or
  positioned into their bounding box, right?

  Hmmm.  When tables are used for layout you could simply write the assertion
  against the whole table.  But you'd still need to reference individual
  elements when CSS positioning is used.

  Len