Re: Conformance Evaluation Process / Multimedia

Actually I think there is a class of objects which are used in Web content
that is things with their own interaction properties. The simplest is an
image map or a link, but also interactive multimedia and some applets (other
applets are in fact just multimedia presentations coded in a procedural
way...

Another way of looking at it is to talk about "control logic" - a jargon term
which means the ways that a user can move through an interactive set of
choices or actions. This was what was discussed a bit in Hong Kong. It is a
fairly important part of the typical design process for Interactive Voice
Systems. VoiceXML, a language for describing such systems that was submitted
to W3C and is available as a Note, see http://www.w3.org/TR in fact specifies
a control logic (and quite an interesting one at that it seems).

Charles McCN

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Phill Jenkins/Austin/IBM wrote:

  I'm not sure who posted the issue:

  >Open issues
  >
  >Are applets being considered as multimedia?

  I would like to recommend that "interactive multimedia", which is
  multimedia that has hot spots that can be selected, receive focus, etc. be
  considered in a separate area - such as "interactive multimedia".   Since
  not all applets employ multimedia clips I don't think of applets as being
  considered multimedia.  Multimedia (video and audio) is or can be added to
  applets to end up with interactive multimedia, while from the other point
  of view there are existing multimedia clips that are enhanced with
  programming behind it to end up with interactive multimedia.

  Also, the role of the user agent and/or special plug-in and/or "player" for
  that multimedia type needs to be considered.

  Regards,
  Phill Jenkins
  IBM Accessibility Center - Special Needs Systems
  http://www.ibm.com/able