Re: Add definition of "disability" to Glossary in guidelines

aloha, phil!

use of the WHO definitions of disability, impairment, and functional limitation
was proposed by denis anson for inclusion in UAGL, and while the members of the
UA WG in attendance at the recent UA face2face in austin resolved to adopt the
definition (and i accepted an action item to alert the AU and GL WGs that we
had done so), the resolution was apparently over-turned by the Coordination
Group in this week's CG telecon...

here is the relevant extract from the raw minutes of today's UA telecon -- jg
stands for jon gunderson and mq for mickey quenzer; while LC stands for "Last
Call"

quote
LC#137: Use of terms for disabilities, impairment -- add in agenda

jg: Denis Anson brought WHO def to f2f. jg brought to coordination
group...CG those defs are medical model, contemporary-more positive, inclusive.
Many disability groups do not like WHO def. CG recommends using standing
def. in the current document. Comments....

mq: so we don't have to change anything. its all personal preference

jg: good for keeping in harmony with other documents, and Judy Brewer would
balk. Issue closed. no decension in group.
unquote

the full text of the minutes for today's UA telecon can be found at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999OctDec/0701.html

gregory
At 01:48 PM 12/15/99 -0600, you wrote:

>After reading this article, I think it would be useful to add the term
>"disability" into the glossaries of the WCAG, ATAG, and UAAG.  The
>definition would include a link to link to either or both the Institute of
>Medicine (IOM) model for defining disability and the World Health
>Organization (WHO) model.  I searched and found URLs for the article's
>references:
>
>Institute of Medicine, Disability in America: Toward A National Agenda for
>Prevention, A.M. Pope and A.R. Tarlov (eds.) (Washington, DC: National
>Academy Press, 1991) http://www.nap.edu/books/0309043786/html/
>
>World Health Organization, International Classification of Impairments,
>Disabilities, and Handicaps (Geneva, Switzerland: World Health
>Organization, 1980). http://www.who.int/whosis/icidh/icidh.html
>
>Regards,
>Phill Jenkins
>

>"Denis Anson" <danson@miseri.edu> on 12/15/99 09:34:14 AM
>
>To:   "WAI UA Group" <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
>cc:
>Subject:  Box 3-1 Tower of Disability Babel
>

>  Here is a link that describes the Functional Limitations model proposed
>by
>Nagi and NIDRR.
>
>Denis
>

> http://earthops.org/box_3-1.html

He that lives on Hope, dies farting
     -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
   WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
        <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>