Re: proposal for priority section text to address "level of skill"

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> I like the language about the average user having a working understanding of
> the UI metaphor. Can anyone (Wendy?) turn that into English and incorporate
> it? (I don't think it is necessary, but it would probably be helpful.

I would propose two changes:

1) I think the explanation about the "average user" should go at
   the end of section 1.2, after the [Relative Priority] description.

2) I propose the following text:

   <PROPOSAL>
      When considering strategies for meeting the goal of an
      accessible user interface, tool developers should follow
      principles they should always follow: strive to meet the needs of
      novice, experienced, and power users, but focus on the middle
group
      and assume that these users will be familiar with the tool's user
      interface. On the other hand, when considering strategies
      for meeting the goal of encouraging the creation of
      accessible content, assume that the author knows very
      little about accessibility issues or their solutions.
   </PROPOSAL>

 - Ian

> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
>
>   I today's call I took an action item to propose text for the priority
>   section that addresses the open issue "What level of skill in producing
>   accessible markup can the developer assume on the part of the
>   author?"  Here it goes, beginning with existing text in the section to set
>   the context:
>
>   Each checkpoint has a priority level. The priority level reflects the
>   impact of the checkpoint in meeting the goals of this specification. These
>   goals are:
>   That the authoring tool be accessible
>   That the authoring tool generate accessible content by default
>   That the authoring tool encourage the creation of accessible content
>
>   <proposal>
>   In creating a tool that meets the needs of its intended audience, the
>   "average targetted user" of the tool has the necessary skills appropriate
>   for that type of tool.  In today's environment, most authors will not have
>   the appropriate knowledge to create accessible content and it is up to the
>   tool to help them via methods appropriate to the type of authoring tool.
>   </proposal>
>
>   ... rest of text from priority section....
>   <>
>   wendy a chisholm (wac)
>   world wide web consortium (w3c)
>   web accessibility initiative (wai)
>   madison, wisconsin (madcity, wi)
>   united states of america (usa)
>   tel: +1 608 663 6346
>   </>
>

> --Charles McCathieNevile    mailto:charles@w3.org  phone: +61 409 134 136
> W3C Web Accessibility Initiative                    http://www.w3.org/WAI
> 21 Mitchell Street, Footscray, VIC 3011,  Australia (I've moved!)

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783