Re: Proposed Text for Section 1.3 (was Re: Meeting tomorrow)

aloha, bill!

your point is well taken -- if the members get to hide behind screens (and i do
understand why they must) why not do the same when it comes to the source of
the solutions slash implementations from which the techniques in the techniques
document are derived...  readers of the ATAG and ATAG Techs documents should be
encouraged to inquire of the WG via the AU list whether certain checkpoints
and/or techniques have actually been implemented and how...

what we desperately need to do -- through the agency of lists and newsgroups,
announcements on the W3C site, the press release when we go to full Rec--is
heavily advertise the fact that we: a) welcome comments from developers,
interested parties, users, and b) that we are attempting to maintain a
comprehensive list of authoring tools, and would appreciate hearing from anyone
in the business -- as well as anyone who has used the tools and who has read,
or would care to read, ATAG and the Techs document...

that way, eventually, we may well someday have enough data to compile the
database driven tool descriptor about which charles is wont to wax rhetorical
-- a form driven, show me the tools engine, where the user gets to choose the
criteria...

gregory.

Bill wrote:
>CMcCN:: "...the working group has a page which describes the conformance
>of various tools at XXX."
>
>WL: If we're going to "name names" I feel we are treading treacherous
>slippery slope. I don't think the intent of our charter is to provide
>lists (necessarily incomplete) of conforming/non-conforming tools.
>Unless the makers of the tools request inclusion our liability is
>evident and unless we find *every* tool our neglect is unfair to some
>perhaps unknown excellence. We can describe problems in current
>(unnamed) products and point out satisfactory compliances - with
>anonymity.
>
>--
>Love.
>            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE
>http://dicomp.pair.com

He that lives on Hope, dies farting
     -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
   WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
        <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>