Re: Definition for Content, etc

Jutta Treviranus wrote:

> Web Content, Information, Structure and Presentation
> Web content is content to be viewed by a Web browser and published on the
> Web or an Intranet. Web content consists of the information to be
> communicated, the structure of the information and the presentation of the
> information. The Web content information refers to the message to be
> communicated to the reader through natural language, images, sounds,
> movies, animations, etc. The Web content structure refers to how it is
> organized logically (e.g., by chapter, with an introduction and table of
> contents, etc.). The Web content presentation refers to how it is rendered
> (e.g., as print, as a two-dimensional graphical presentation, as a
> text-only presentation, as synthesized speech, as Braille, etc.).

Hi Jutta,

1) I am uncomfortable with a definition that begins "Web content is
content..."

2) Also, "Web content consists of the information" is followed by
   "Web content information refers to the message". So, by transitivity,
   is content the message?

3) I don't think you need to consider the message of information
   as part of content.

I find these definitions a bit unwieldly. Can we tweak yours and the
WCAG 1.0 definitions as follows:

a) Web content is information published on the Web or an Intranet
   and viewed by a Web browser. Authors represent information
   in a variety of ways on the Web, including through natural
   language, images, sounds, movies, animations, etc.

b) The structure of Web content refers to its logical organization
   (e.g., by chapter, with an introduction and table of contents,
   etc.).

c) The presentation of Web content refers to the way it
   is output to the user (e.g., as print, as a two-dimensional
   graphical presentation, as an text-only presentation,
   as synthesized speech, as braille, etc.)

 - Ian

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783