Re: Comments on Guidelines 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7 of 17 June AU Guidelines

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> IJ
>   4) Checkpoint 2.6.2: What does the "nature of an alert" mean?
>      Does this mean "severity"?
> CMN
> I think it means the nature - its severity, the way it appears, etc. I don't
> think we should constrain this too much, although we may want to give
> examples of possible changes in the techniques document.

I agree that it's important to be flexible, but imprecise language
should be avoided. The word "nature" to me, implies something that
cannot be changed by the user - something's nature is inherent
to it (e.g., human nature).

Actually, I don't think alerts have severity - errors have severity.
Alerts just let you know what the severity is.

Proposed:
  "Allow the users to control the timing and presentation of alerts."

- Ian

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814