Re: Please Vote: Process for new guidelines and rules [was Re: Guidelines Implementation

[thread carried over from w3c-wai-er-ig list, dealing with the relationship
between automatically computable checks and checkpoint satisfaction.  Len
proposed that all techniques be approved by the GL group before they are
adopted by AU or ER.  Or at least that is how I read his call for vote.]

Actually, I am going to vote "nay."  I think it is important that tools not
limit their ambition to content-checkpoint conformance.

Caveat:  This idea is really centered in the Authoring Tools topic.
Because I think that the subject areas of AU and ER do and should overlap,
I'll continue the thread here and copy there.

I don't think that the ER nominations or AU guidelines, checkpoints and
techniques should say something that conflicts with what the WCAG says,
when the WCAG has spoken.  We can extend this to "clarifications and
rulings" from the "life after REC" activities yet to be organized.  [Note:
I believe that in the IG plenary at Toronto, Judy said that WAI-CG should
take up the relationship of GL,ER,AU as regards "guidance for tool
implementation of the WCAG."]

But on the other hand, in an interactive dialog one encounters the whole
question of "warnings" and other ways of stimulating the author/user which
are new territory that the WCAG has not dealt with.

My favorite one of these at a high level is the idea that authoring tools
should transform the document-in-process in ways which emphasize logical
structure.  This logical structure is the foundation for the "transform
gracefully" techniques which are developed in the UA guidelines.  A clear
example of this is the "use hierarchy properly" concept.  One can try do do
this with formal rules about the existence and cardinality of various Hn
elements.  A much stronger strategy, however, is to offer the author an
auto-extracted internal navbar which matches what the adaptive user agent
techniques will assume in the way of hierarchy.  If the author finds this
outline view helpful in navigation, they will be likely to write in a
well-structured way.  Similarly with the internal logical structure of a
table.  If the authoring tool highlights the data:header relationships in
the default schema for the table as the user is creating the table, then
the author will fix gaps in the logical information.  Otherwise layout will
be the only semantics one can trust that the author comprehended.

<aphorism>
Do not expect what you do not inspect.
</aphorism>

<corollary>
Do not expect logical depth in a document unless the author has inspected
the deep structure by accepting multiple presentations that change the
surface details.
</corollary>

We should try to be scrupulous to adhere to the WCAG provisions as the GL
group determined them.  But ER and AU tools should by no means be limited
to implementing what is in that document.  There are lots of things that
can be done in a tool which advance the intent of the content guidelines
without being strictly derived from those guidelines.

Al