Re: Merging sections 2 and 3

At 02:41 p.m. 05/06/99 -0400, Jan Richards wrote:
>JR:
>I think that making this statement right up front muddies the water.
>There are 7 guidelines that address how a tool can be made
>document-accessibility-aware and 3 guidelines that address how to make
>the tool interface-accessibility-aware.

The waters are already muddied.

2.1 Generate standard markup
2.2 Support all accessible authoring practices of W3C Recommendations
2.3 Ensure that no accessibility content is missing
2.5 Preserve existing accessible structure or content

These all deal with the markup functions of the tool.  (Incidentally,
how different are 2.3 and 2.5?)

2.4 Integrate accessibility solutions into the overall "look and feel"

This is a user-interface guideline.

2.6 Provide methods of checking and correcting inaccessible content

This is a "correcting/validation/repair" guideline.

2.7 Promote accessibility in help and documentation

This is a documentation and education guideline.

3.1 Follow principles of accessible design
3.2 Ensure independence of authoring and publishing environments.
3.3 Provide accessible navigation
3.4 Ensure accessible representation of elements

These are user interface guidelines.

The distinction is (currently) somewhat arbitrary.  I think for
clarity's sake we need to either increase the separation (and I
have suggested separate documents) or decrease it (which is what
the Ian/Charles suggestion does).

I support merging these two sections.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>