Re: Issue with Checkpoints 2.7.1 and 2.7.2

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> I would go along with making 2.7.2 a technique
> if the following things are clear:
>
> 1. The help system is included in the integration of look and feel
> checkpoint, which could be done by suggesting some areas for consideration
> in techniques for look and feel. (i.e. accessibility help is not a
> cyber-ghetto chapter for people who want to be nice to disabled people.)
>
> 2. Help examples should always be accessible examples - IMG should have
> ALT, and if relevant LONGDESC (this is also crossover with the look and
> feel stuff as per Kynn's proposal) etc
>
> I think that a lot of this is already covered in the techniques section
> for this guideline, which is encouraging.

I disagree. Some of the ideas here should remain checkpoints. I would
rephrase as follows:

2.7.1: [Priority 1]
Include direction for the use of all accessible authoring practices
supported by the authoring tool. (JR comment: "direction" may be a good
catch-all for the many different types of help+doc that will be listed
in the techniques)
2.7.2: [Priority 2] (JR comment: my suggested Priority)
Help topics should feature all applicable accessible authoring
practices, regardless of the W3C's Web Content Accessibility Priority.
(JR comment: this is promotion with a big P! For example alt-text
doesn't need to be promoted because it is required, LONGDESC does need
to be promoted)
2.7.3: [Priority 1]
Examples must conform to the W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
(JR comment: text from section 2)

--
Jan Richards
jan.richards@utoronto.ca