Re: Restarting W3C Volunteer Translation Tracking

Am 14.11.18 um 14:59 schrieb Jean-Christophe Helary:
> I don't understand what you are saying. If the file is a static file,
> creating a hash on your side when the file is validated and checking the
> value of the hosted file regularly should be enough, shouldn't it?

I mean, what was the abuse about?

All I got to read was, that there were computerized translations that
were announced as proper translations and they were just used as a
traffic generator.

I haven't heard of a case that there was a "good" translation and it was
replaced by something else. Was there? If a bad translation got replaced
the problem already existed before a "changing file problem".

Maybe @Dontcallmedom can shine a light on what type the massive abuse
was about. I didn't really get it. And what was the ratio? good/bad,
50/50, 20/80, 80/20 or 95/5?
What was the major type of abuse?

So to get back to your question.

You can validate a static file, but how do you do that for an HTML-Page
on the web.
Is that static file actually shown like expected in your browser if
someone uses e.g. JS to alter the content? An automatic process might
not help, and then it is back to manual work.

So from my point of view that is all too complicated, all that technical
programatical approach. I feel, W3C and the translators should find some
old fashioned way to establish some trust. A personal conversation and
knowing who the other is, is not that difficult to accomplish.
(For that some invitation to some (yearly) event that took place anyway
was a nice idea in the past.)
A well maintained website of a translator is also a hint, if there is
any abuse to be expected.

So instead of making it all technical, I ask for a small validation
list. Meet like two or three of, let's say, six criteria, and you are
good to go.

Criteria might be:
1. personal identification
2. personal conversation
3. well maintained website related to W3C cotent, technical content,
spec related
4. someone trusted individual referred the person
5. a W3C member is taking responsibility to watch over the translation
process and maintainance
6. ...please fill in.

Stefan