Re: Restarting W3C Volunteer Translation Tracking

> On Oct 11, 2018, at 22:44, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Jens,
>
> Le 11/10/2018 à 14:38, Jens Oliver Meiert a écrit :
>> What I as a long-term contributor would like to see is
>>
>> a) a process that allows for rapid translations that could be marked
>> prominently as “unofficial/unreviewed translations” (and which may
>> certainly be handed off for further refinement), and
>
> I can understand the potential value of allowing for this, but I'm not
> sure how to limit the abuse of such an approach we've seen happening in
> practice in the previous program. Do you have any idea I could explore
> in this space?

That's where "tools" (or processes) come into action.
A translation hosted on a collaborative translation site (a pootle server for ex) would allow for a number of people to review the document until a "translation manager" deems it is good enough for official publication, meanwhile it is available but only a "draft translation".

>> b) some solid ways of recognition, at the least including names of
>> translators and links to their personal sites and portfolios
>
> Thanks for that feedback, this is extremely useful. I had been wondering
> what would provide the right incentive and the much-deserved recognition
> to translators in this new approach, and had indeed imagined providing
> some kind of public profile for translators - I would be happy to hear
> from more translators on this, but will already look into increasing the
> priority of that aspect of the program based on your input.

If the translation project is hosted on a collaborative site like github, seeing who has contributed is trivial (although contributors will need a github account). Putting their names on the project readme file should be enough to give them proper recognition and since the information is on the github site new contributions do not require the document to be republished to update the contributors list.

Jean-Christophe Helary