Re: Translation links disappeared from W3C website

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 16:59:37 +0200, Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 15:27:30 +0200, Han Xu <hanxu@w3china.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear Admin,
>>
>> I'm writing because the links to our translations disappeared from the
>> W3C
>> website
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/11/Translations/Lists/ListLang-zh-hans.html.
>>
>> The disappeared links are:
>>
>> HTML and XHTML FAQ  http://zh.transwiki.org/cn/xhtmlfaq.htm
>> XML Base  http://www.w3china.org/translation/xmlbase20010627_cn.htm
>> XML Information Set (Second Edition)
>> http://www.w3china.org/translation/infoset_20040204_cn.htm
>> XML Information Set
>> http://www.w3china.org/translation/infoset_20011024_cn.htm
>>
>> According to records from archive.org, those links were still there on
>> Sep,
>> 2009 [1], but disappeared since Jan, 2010 [2]. Could you help check and
>> fix? Thanks!
>>
>> [1]
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20090921043149/http://www.w3.org/2005/11/Translations/Lists/ListLang-zh-hans.html
>> [2]
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20100123070335/http://www.w3.org/2005/11/Translations/Lists/ListLang-zh-hans.html
>>
>> Best,
>> Han
>
> Hello Han,
>
> I am investigating some of the disappearances you highlight, as far as
> the translations of RECs are concerned.
>
> There was one notable change in the past few years, that I announced in
> September 2012:
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-translators/2012JulSep/0038.html
>
> ... which explains why the translation of the FAQ isn't displayed
> anymore.
>
> Coralie

Hello Han,

Having investigated further, there were two differences in the database:

- http://www.w3china.org/translation/xmlbase20010627_cn.htm was submitted
as http://xmlbase.w3china.org
- http://www.w3china.org/translation/infoset_20011024_cn.htm was submitted
as http://infoset.w3china.org

We have changed those two to the explicit URIs. However, all three, namely
these two (with the old URI) and the additional
<http://www.w3china.org/translation/infoset_20040204_cn.htm> were set as
unreachable in our system, which performs checks and every link that
returns as a 404 is set aside.

We have re-checked manually and these are still unreachable. One of them
came through once, but mostly they are unreachable. Until there is a
reliable access to the files, we will keep them aside, meaning that we do
not list them in the Translations Database.

  Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@w3.org +336 4322 0001 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/