Re: Translations to African languages

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 12:02:08 +0200, Charles McCathie Nevile
<chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:24:22 +0500, David Viaene <pathios@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hiya,
>>
>> I was wanting to do linkable translations in African languages Like
>> Xhosa
>> and Zulu). I was wondering at the best way to go about this. Any advice
>> would be appreciated.
>
> Well, there are a couple of rules for translations (like they have to be
> accurate, and have the right information about copyright and so on).
>
> Having looked at those, the best way to go about it is to  start
> publishing translations that follow the rules :)
>
> (Just my 0.02 rubles worth)
>
> Chaals

Hi David,

Welcome to the community of volunteer translators!

If Chaals' advice (thanks!) isn't sufficient, you will find more on
<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Translation/>.

If you're looking for the tl;dr version, the basic "how-to" is to:

0) announce intention of translation to this list: w3c-translators@w3.org,
1) copy the original document,
2) translate it (make sure to add hreflang="en" to any link to English
material that you do not translate),
3) add a disclaimer (usually near the top) to indicate that this is a
translation which may contain errors and that the normative version is the
original English document hosted at the W3C website [with a link to the
original document],
4) host it on your website,
5) check validity [1] and links [2], and
6) send the URI and title in target language to w3c-translators@w3.org

[1] http://validator.w3.org/unicorn/
[2] http://validator.w3.org/checklink/

  Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org