Re: XHTML Basic

At 02:45 02/04/10 +0400, Alexander Savenkov wrote:
>Hello translators,
>
>I've started the translation of XHTML Basic 1.0 into Russian.
>
>A few questions to begin with:
>
>1. Take a look at the following fragment:
>
>       <acronym title="Extensible HyperText Markup Language">XHTML</acronym>
>
>    becomes
>
>       <acronym title="Rashiryayemiy yazik razmetky
> giperteksta">XHTML</acronym>
>
>    Do I have to indicate the xml:lang of the latest acronym as "en"
>    (The html xml:lang attribute is "ru")?
>    Is it correct to translate the title without the acronym itself?
>
>    Other examples include various acronyms and abbreviations like
>    "W3C", "PDF", "Co.", "Inc.", "Ltd.", "DTD", "WAP", "WML", "SGML" etc.

I think you should use a similar solution here as you use for
names (3. below). For example

<acronym xml:lang='en' title="Extensible HyperText Markup Language"
 >XHTML</acronym> (Rashiryayemiy yazik razmetky giperteksta)

or

XHTML (Rashiryayemiy yazik razmetky giperteksta)

(and maybe add the text only the first time, but some WAI
experts may know better).

>2. Is there a way for me to get the right pronunciation for the names
>    in the Acknowledgements and References sections?

(Well, for my name, please use 'Martin Dyurst' for transliteration.)

>3. I translate the first appearance of a person's name in the text,
>    for example:
>
>       Mark Beiker (Mark Baker), Deiv Reggitt (Dave Raggett) etc.
>
>    Is it necessary that I indicate the language of a name like that
>
>       Mark Beiker (<span xml:lang="en">Mark Baker</span>)

Yes, I think this would be the right way to do it.

>    This may result in additional difficulties...

It is definitely more work. But I don't see anything
particularly difficult/complicated. Did I miss anything?

>4. Do I have the right to translate the comments in the Appendix B,
>    i. e. SGML Open Catalog Entry for XHTML Basic, XHTML Basic Driver,
>    and XHTML Basic Customizations? I mean the preformatted text.

I think you can translate the comments. It should help the
readers understand what's going on. But I gess you should
add a remark at the start of each piece (catalog, driver,...)
saying that you translated the comments, and suggesting that
for production, the version in the original is used.

Regards,    Martin.