Re: Translation of W3C Copyright FAQ

Dear Mr.Martin

Your suggetions make sense and I accept them.

Certainly the permissipn is not explicitly given, even if the
translation has W3C Copyright at foot of the web page and it
was talked about a little at past when "Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines 1.0(jp)" is telled in this mailing list.

Now, W3C Copyright including three items is at top of documents at
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~bd9y-ktu/html4rec_f/IPR-FAQj.html and
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~bd9y-ktu/html4rec_f/COPYDOCj.html.

However, as you point it, these documents is old in version, so
they must be adjusted to the latest version.

I tell it again in this mailing list when the latest translation
is available.  For a while, can I remain them to be old verion ?

Thank you for your suitable suggetions.

> Dear Mr. Kato,
>
> I very much appreciated your past translations of W3C
> specifications. Your efforts are very valuable.
>
> However, I have just found translations of our Copyright
> FAQ (at http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~bd9y-ktu/html4rec_f/IPR-FAQj.html)
> and of the W3C IPR document notice (at
> http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~bd9y-ktu/html4rec_f/COPYDOCj.html).
>
> Regarding these, and maybe similar documents, I have to note that:
>
> - The Copyright FAQ gives the right to translate specifications,
>    but the above documents are not specifications. You would have
>    to ask explicitly for permission.
>
> - I do not remember any mail regarding these to the w3c-translators
>    mailing list from you. If I'm wrong, please tell me.
>
> - The above documents are living documents; the translation therefore
>    easily can be out of synch.
>
> - The above documents are legal documents or close in nature to legal
>    documents; translations by third parties can lead to serious problems.
>

> I therefore ask you to:
>
> - Make the abovementionned documents and similar documents that you may
>    have translated unavailable for the public, at least until you have
>    asked for permission, and this permission has been granted.
>
> - Do likewise with any translations of similar nature that we may
>    not be aware off.
>

> In case you are asking for permission, I would expect you to at least:
>
> - Conform to the conditions for specifications of translations.
>    (in particular saying that the original is the English version
>     on the W3C site, and that your translation may contain errors).
>
> - Clearly note which date of the original document the translation
>    corresponds to, and that the original may have changed in the
>    meantime and the changes may be crucial. This is particularly
>    important because you include the (maybe outdated) English text,
>    too.
>
> - That by the nature of these documents, readers relying only on the
>    translation, or only on an old version, may get themselves into
>    serious troubles.
>
> Regards,   Martin.
>
> #-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, I18N Activity Lead, World Wide Web Consortium
> #-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org/People/D%C3%BCrst

- Yasutaka Kato
- emaill : y.kato@personal.email.ne.jp
- http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~bd9y-ktu/