Re: Public Identifiers, and CATALOGS

I think I agree with much of this.  One point to keep in mind with this, is
that nobody on the Web except for us SGML weenies has the vaguest idea what a
Public Identifier is and will believe whatever we tell them, and almost
everyone who will use them at first is us.

I'll make two assumptions:
1) a public identifier is immutable, and a client can ultimately use any
resolution method it wants.
2) if I send you a document, I should be able to supply you with sufficient
extra information for you to be able to process that document.

The second point says I need to know how to resolve the public identifier, but
the first says you don't need to ask me.  I think this is fair.  I also don't
think this should be a catalog, not because I don't like catalogs, but because
they are extraneous to the document - I want the name resolved, not several K
of catalog information.  In any case, I'd prefer to see a catalog as a name
server you can interface with.  So I think the server should include a pragma,
disguised as a processing instruction, eg.,
<?XML-public-identifier type="resolver" href="pubid/cgi"?>.
The enclosed URL will accept one or more pubid's (as text strings) and return
one or more entity definitions.

I understand that adding PIs is generally a bad thing, but I think it's
excusable in this case.  I also allows client and server to do the actual name
resolution anyway they see fit, but with a narrow interface between them if
they need to talk.  And it puts the onus of resolution, in the end, with the
server, where I think it belongs.

Again, I'd like to point out that the only people who will use this initially,
and who will implement it, are the SGML members of the crew, who will make the
effort to build what is not a particularly complicated CGI script.

Matthew Fuchs
matt@wdi.disney.com
http://cs.nyu.edu/phd_students/fuchs