Re: public/catalog [was: Re: ERB Decisions of March 26th]

At 21:51 29/03/97 -0800, you wrote:
>[Peter Flynn:]
>
>| The point is that the data structure (the FPI) already exists, and
>| people want to use it, even as a placeholder.
>
>Here's the problem.  Most users who have expressed an opinion (this
>includes myself) want public identifiers.  But most implementors who
>have expressed an opinion won't have anything to do with them until a
>behavior is specified.

That's perfectly understandable, and I have no problem with it.
What I can't work out is why no-one's prepared even to propose a
behaviour: it doesn't even have to be compulsory (pace Terry).

Nothing ever stopped implementors jumping the gun and making up
their own behaviours in the past: what's holding them back now?

///Peter