XML interchange [was Re: Stylesheet association]

Several of us were talking yesterday at the GCA XML conference
about the fact that one of the biggest problems with SGML is
still with what's supposed to be one of its key goals: interchange.

It is still way too hard to hand off to someone all the various files
associated with an SGML application in such a way that the recipient
can easily reconstruct it.  SDIF has existed for years, SGML Open's
TR9401 made a simple stab at addressing this in its "Issue B: an
interchange packaging scheme", and then the MIME-SGML work was another
attempt to standardize this, but there appears to be no interoperably
accepted solution.  Some of us feel this is such an important issue
that perhaps it should be the "fourth phase" of the XML effort.

Notice that this issue goes way beyond associating a style sheet,
and I think any XML effort to associate anything with anything will
naturally get us into all these issues, so perhaps we should face
them head on.