Re: 4.4 URL processing

In message <3.0.32.19970304121746.00964160@pop.intergate.bc.ca> Tim Bray writes:
> Very likely XML Link will use URLs (perhaps among things) for locators.
>
> Is this all we need to say?

I think that presenting references as URLs (rather than SGML ID/IDREFs) is
the best (and probably only) way to get the webheads (i.e. me) on board.

I'm wondering what the role of ID/IDREF now is?  Is it:
	- left semantically free so that SGMLheads can use in in whatever
		way they are used to
	- acting as a synonym for a simple case of xlink?
	- doing something significant but different?  (if so I'm not
		clear what that is).

> Do we need specific interpretation of '#' fragment handling for XML?

If we are requiring the target to be an ID, it needs spelling out.

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences