Re: 7. Attribute remapping?

At 12:33 PM 3/4/97 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>We have decided that we will allow the use of any old GI's on XML linking
>elements, identifying by the use of reserved attribute names and values.
>We will be specifying the use of some attributes to support XML linking.
>Do we need to allow them to be remapped as well, so that when an
>HTML doc says HREF= and a TEI doc says PTR=, they can mean the same
>thing?

I hate it, but I think we have to do this.  Warning: this is going
to be a *major* pain in the butt to explain/justify to the webheads
who are used to GI-dependent semantics.  A 2-phase teaching strategy
will be required - first you explain XML links using hardwired GI's
and attributes, then *later* you say "oh yes, and you can call 'em
what you want".

Eve's method is as good as any. -T.